All images © Sondre Forsell
5 Minutes With...
Sondre Forsell is a surfer and self taught photographer based in Norway. He took some time out with Explore Nation recently to reflect on his passion for cold water surf photography and discuss the inspirations and motivations behind his craft.
Sondre Forsell takes 5 with Explore Nation
1. What’s your current location?
My current location is Stavanger, Norway.
2. As a self taught Photographer, what inspired you to pick up a camera in the first place?
That’s a bit complex, but the short answer is that I started documenting Jackass stuff when I was a teenager. I really liked it then, but I kinda got into other hobbies and took a break for about 7 years. Then I started surfing, and I thought it would be inspiring to take pictures of surf to document the cold water surf we get here in Norway.
3. With your focus on surf and nature Photography, what have been the most challenging aspects?
There hasn’t been much challenge, but its mostly cold on shore and in the cold water when I’m taking pictures of the surf. The Surf is usually best during the winter, so it can get really cold, then its not always that fun to be out there shooting.
4. And the most rewarding?
It’s rewarding that so many people like to follow my work and I really appreciate that.
5. Has your environment / location impacted on your work in any way?
Absolutely! It began with the interest in documenting the cold and bitter surfing in Norway, and show people in the world how dedicated surfers can be for their sport.
6. Where is the most memorable location your work has taken you to date?
Probably when I was snorkeling with sharks on Oahu. The group I was with was surrounded by 28 sharks. It was such a rush and I was so focused to get shots of these beautiful creatures that I didn’t think about being scared.
7. If you could go anywhere in the world to get a photo, where would it be and why?
There’s lots of places I would like to go, but Alaska is one of the places. To see the majestic nature. I Heard that it looks a lot like Norway, only that everything is bigger and I guess more majestic in some way.
8. What are your biggest inspirations and motivations?
Being outside and shooting great surf.
9. You’re an advocate for Danish clothing label Oh Dawn. How did this come about?
They saw my work and contacted me, I liked their clothes and I also like their expression and what they stand for. I could not say “no” to a collaboration with such a great brand. I also liked that they where fresh and hadn’t been long in the business as a brand.
10. Where can our readers find more of your work?
Most of my work is released/shown on Instagram, but I have a website and a Facebook page called Fotograf Sondre Forsell. I’ll soon start selling prints. I’ll let my followers know then that time comes.